I viewed this video last semester, and it definitely impressed me. However, upon viewing it again this semester, I did not gain any new mind altering perspective shift. So, i decided to type it all out in an easy to read text version for three reasons: to reassure Dr. Strange that I did indeed watch it again, to offer an easy to read compilation of all the interesting facts gathered by Dr. Fisch, and to stimulate some more of my own deeply buried response.
Here goes... "Did you know?"
1. If you're 1 in a 1,000,000 in China... there are 1,300 people just like you.
IF THE U.S.A. HAD THAT MANY PEOPLE, WOULD OUR GOVERNMENT BE CAPABLE OF MAINTAINING ORDER AND CIVILITY?
2. China will soon become the #1 English speaking country in the world.
3. The 25% of India's population with the highest IQ's... is greater than the total population of the U.S. (Translation: India has more honors kids than America has kids.)
4. The top 10 in-demand jobs in 2010... did not exist in 2004. (We are currently preparing students for jobs that don't exist yet... using technologies that haven't been invented... in order to solve problems we don't even know exist yet.)
THIS MAKES ME THINK THAT SCHOOLS ARE NOT STRICTLY NECESSARY TO PREPARE US FOR OUR CAREERS, BUT MORE SO TO HELP SHAPE US INTO PEOPLE WHO ARE CAPABLE OF SUCCEEDING IN A WORK ENVIRONMENT (I MEAN SCHOOLS ARE NOT ABOUT CAREER ORIENTED SKILLS AND TECHNIQUES, BUT MORE ABOUT TIME MANAGEMENT AND SOCIAL ETIQUETTE).
5. The U.S. Department of Labor estimates that today's learner will have 10-14 jobs... by the age of 38.
WHAT DOES THIS STATISTIC TELL US ABOUT WORK ETHIC AND LOYALTY OF THE "ME" GENERATION?
6. 1 in 4 workers has been with their current employer for less than a year. 1 in 2 has been there less than five years.
7. 1 in 8 couples married in the U.S. last year met online.
I WONDER HOW THIS WILL EFFECT OUR DIVORCE RATE 5, 10, OR 15 YEARS FROM NOW?
8. There are over 200,000,000 users registered on Myspace. If Myspace were a country, it would be the 5th-largest in the world (between Indonesia and Brazil).
FACEBOOK IS BETTER.
9. The #1 ranked country in Broadband Internet penetration is... Bermuda, #19 U.S., #22 Japan.
WHERE IS BERMUDA?
10. We are living in exponential times. There are 31 billion searches on Google every month. In 2006, this number was 2.7 billion.(To whom were these questions addressed before B.G. (Before Google)?)
11. The first commercial text message was sent in December of 1992. Today, the number of text messages sent and received everyday, exceeds the total population of the planet.
12. Years it took to reach a market audience of 50 million: Radio 38 years, T.V. 13 years, internet 4 years, iPod 3 years, Facebook 2 years.
YOU ALSO HAVE TO CONSIDER THE SIZE OF TOTAL POPULATION IN REGARDS TO THE TIME EACH PRODUCT WAS MARKETED.
13. The number of internet devices in 1984 was 1,000. The number of internet devices in 1992 was 1,000,000. The number of internet devices in 2008 is 1,000,000,000.
14. There are about 540,000 words in the English language-- about 5X as many as in Shakespeare's time.
15. It is estimated that a week's worth of the New York Times contains more information than a person was likely to come across in a lifetime in the 18th century.
NO WONDER THEY DIDN'T NEED COMPUTER'S, BOOKS, OR PAPER... THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO REMEMBER!
16. It's estimated that 4 exabytes (4.0 x 10^19) of unique information will be generated this year. That is more than the previous 5,000 years.
17. The amount of new technical information is doubling every two years... For students starting a 4 year technical degree this means that... half of what they learn in their first year of study will be outdated by their third year of study.
18. NTT Japan has successfully tested a fiber optic cable... that pushes 14 trillion bits per second down a single strand of fiber. That is 2,660 CDs or 210 phone calls every second. It is currently tripling every six months and is expected to do so for the next 20 years.
19. By 2013, a supercomputer will be built that exceeds the computational capabilities of the human brain. Predictions are that by 2049, a $1,000 computer will exceed the computational capabilities of the entire human species.
I RECENTLY SAW ON TV A COMPUTER THAT CAN MOVE OBJECTS AND SAY WORDS BASED ON THE ELECTRICAL CURRENTS OF YOUR BRAIN. THEY ARE USING THIS TECHNOLOGY TO HELP ENABLE QUADRIPLEGICS. ROBOTS-- HOW FASCINATING?!
20. During the course of this presentation... 67 babies were born in the U.S., 274 were born in China, 395 babies were born in India, and 694,000 songs were downloaded illegally.
WILL HUMAN INTELLECT KEEP UP WITH POPULATION OVERLOAD? I THINK WE SHOULD MANUFACTURE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED CONDOMS TO HELP PREVENT US FROM FINDING OUT THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION TOO SOON.
"So what does it all mean?" It means that there were over twenty bits of facts presented in this presentation, and all of the BOLDFACED lettering is my commentary.