Sunday, August 30, 2009

Podcasts: the do's and dont's

After listening to the conversational style of Get Smart with Smart Boards, it was really hard to stay awake during the solo efforts of the KidCast commentator. After only the first five minutes of listening to the Get Smart with Smart Boards, the hosts had me interested enough to simultaneously look up the topics they were discussing, like The Magic Gopher and Life Size Whale. The Magic Gopher is a website character that uses mathematical magic in a psychic game fashion. I could definitely see using the game as a classroom tool to get students interested in algebra or patterns.

One significant difference between the two shows was that Kidcast didn't offer any information that I couldn't have concluded on my own. Whereas, Get Smart with Smart Boards immediately introduced me to new ideas and resources that I could use in my future profession. This basic difference taught me a foundation principle for making my own podcast. Only make a podcast if you are equipped to inform your audience with new, original, and interesting information. Also, conversational style appealed to my personal preferences.

My favorite podcast was EdTechTalk. This podcast also had two hosts, but it was exceptoinal because they were interviewing three Google employees that specialized in different google docs departments. They introduced me to templates and google gadgets on spreadsheets.

Also, I went to their website and found the podcast that I had previously listened to in Itunes U. It was transcripted, which I like better, and in the transcript they used http://tinyurl.com/. Just at a glance, I saw Flickr being used, Itunes, chat rooms, and a blog being used. Ed Tech Talk is certainly multifaceted.

No comments:

Post a Comment